Former Municipial Court Judge

Former Assistant District Attny.

Denton County Office 940-580-2899
Collin County Office 972-954-1947
Aggressive Drug Charges Representation Allow Us to Begin Challenging Drug Crime Charges on Your Behalf.

Keeping a Drug Conviction Off Your Criminal Record

Trusted Denton County Criminal Defense Attorneys

Drug cases and charges in Denton County are serious. A conviction on one's criminal record stays on that record for the rest of your life,. The consequences can be so grave it can affect earning power, the ability to get an apartment, a job, or even a bank account. If there is a way to beat your Denton County drug / controlled substance arrest, we will find that way. However, this is not always possible. If the state can prove the case against you and the evidence backs the crime, you will be convicted. The goal is to keep the conviction off your record and set up a scheme where the arrest, charge, and all details can be sealed.

How can I keep a conviction off my record?

There are several possible ways to keep a conviction off of your record. Each case is different.

Methods to keep a conviction off one's record for a Denton County arrest or charge include:

  • Dismissal
  • Deferred prosecution
  • Pretrial diversion
  • Deferred adjudication
  • Deferred disposition

Although deferred adjudication and deferred disposition are often incorrectly used inter-changeable, they are quite different and each has very distinct benefits and drawbacks.

Deferred adjudication is a sentencing alternative to an outright pleading of 'guilty' that can allow a defendant to avoid a conviction. Typically the defendant enters a plea of guilty or nolo contendre (no contest) in open court, where the plea is heard by the court, but not entered into the official court record. Instead, deferred adjudication allows the judge to postpone or defer any finding of guilt for a set period of time. During this period, the defendant will be placed under community supervision, which is essentially Texas probation. At the end of the set period, often six months or one to two years, and if the defendant has successfully completed the community supervision, the judge will enter no finding of guilt, and the defendant will have avoided any conviction by having the case dismissed.

Conversely, deferred prosecution, also known as pretrial diversion, is essentially the same setup as adjudication, except that the defendant does not announce a plea of guilty or no contest in open court. Instead, the defendant is given a set of goals to meet during a short period of time. If no new arrest follow, and the defendant meets the pre-set goals, the case is dismissed by the prosecutors.

Call on our team at the Law Offices of Tim Powers!

At the Law Offices of Tim Powers, we are ready to help you defend your rights and safeguard your future by keeping a conviction off of your record. We offer free case consultations to discuss your situation and explain how we intend to help you.

Call our Denton County criminal defense attorneys today at (940) 580-2899 and we can begin building your case and working towards securing a positive outcome on your behalf.

Trust Us with Your Case... Trust Us with Your Future

Why Select Our Firm? We Fight for You! 
  • We Provide Free, In-Person, No-Obligation Case Evaluations
  • Handled 40,000+ Criminal Cases in Denton and Collin County Since 1996
  • We Truly Care About Our Clients & Their Cases
  • We Offer Affordable Payment Plans
  • Unparalleled Results Based on the Facts
  • Lead Attorney Tim Powers Is a Regular Legal Commentator on Various Media Outlets

Contact Our Firm 

Let Us Put Our Experience to Work for You
*Note: We only accept Denton County and Collin County cases.
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please enter your charge.
  • Please select an option.
  • Please enter your date of arrest.
  • Please enter an answer.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.