Simulating Legal Process
Chapter 32 of the Texas Penal Code defines offenses relating to fraud.
“Simulating Legal Process”, as per § 32.48 of the Texas Penal Code, occurs when a person recklessly causes to be delivered to another any document that simulates a summons, complaint, judgment, or other court process with the intent to:
- induce payment of a claim from another person; or
- cause another to submit to the putative authority of the document or take any action or refrain from taking any action in response to the document, in compliance with the document, or on the basis of the document.
An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
- Confinement in jail for a term not to exceed one year
- Fine not to exceed $4,000
- Both such fine and confinement