Chapter 37 of the Texas Penal Code defines offenses relating to perjury and other falsification.
“Perjury”, as per § 37.02 of the Texas Penal Code, occurs when a person, with intent to deceive and with knowledge of the statement's meaning:
- makes a false statement under oath or swears to the truth of a false statement previously made and the statement is required or authorized by law to be made under oath; or
- he makes a false unsworn declaration under Chapter 132, Civil Practice and Remedies Code.
An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
- Confinement in jail for a term not to exceed one year
- Fine not to exceed $4,000
- Both such fine and confinement