Failure to Report Felony
Chapter 38 of the Texas Penal Code defines offenses relating to the obstruction of governmental operation.
“Failure to Report Felony”, as per § 38.171 of the Texas Penal Code, occurs when a person:
- observes the commission of a felony under circumstances in which a reasonable person would believe that an offense had been committed in which serious bodily injury or death may have resulted; and
- fails to immediately report the commission of the offense to a peace officer or law enforcement agency under circumstances in which:
- a reasonable person would believe that the commission of the offense had not been reported; and
- the person could immediately report the commission of the offense without placing himself or herself in danger of suffering serious bodily injury or death.
An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
- Confinement in jail for a term not to exceed one year
- Fine not to exceed $4,000
- Both such fine and confinement